On Tuesday 28th September 2021, The Transaction Support Centre (TSC) was invited by the Western Cape Policy & Research Directorate and the Strategic Management Support Directorate to present at their internal Knowledge Sharing Session focused on exploring the importance of having a will and the complications of dying intestate.
Lisa Hutsebaut, TSC Legal Advisor, put together a hugely insightful presentation on what happens to a property when someone dies intestate, using real-life case studies from the TSC. The five case studies presented covered situations including:
- When the property owner dies intestate and there is a co-habiting partner
- When the property owner dies intestate and there is a customary spouse
- When a parent has married (in community of property)
- When estranged or unscrupulous heirs appear during the deceased estate process
- When there is a minor heir involved in a deceased estate
Lisa’s presentation sparked many questions from the virtual audience with many reflecting on their own personal experiences or those of close friends and family. If you have any questions regarding the material, please contact Lisa on email@example.com.
The full video is available to watch here:
The TSC is an action-research project run by 71point4 in partnership with the Centre for Affordable Housing Finance in Africa (CAHF).